Friday, May 1, 2009

Kentucky Blues

It's that time again. What time you ask? The time when it's supposed to be spring and it's not really spring. The time when all of my trees are in shock and don't know if they should wake up or go back to sleep. The time when the birds start building their nests in my barbecue grill (ugh) because there are no trees suitable enough for a home. This is about the time every year that I find myself a little homesick for Kentucky. So I decided that this year, I would bring a little Kentucky to Idaho and have a Derby Party! This could be interesting because I'm finding that not a lot of people actually know what Derby is. One of my neighbors even asked me: "Like... the Pinewood Derby??" Umm, not quite. So today the girls and I fashioned some fancy little Derby hats for them to wear on the big day. They were so fun (and cheap) to make! I found the plain hats at Michaels for $2.39, then just bought some ribbon and flowers to embellish. So fun! Totally put me in the mood to throw this party! Maybe then I'll get my "Louisville" fix and won't be quite so homesick anymore...until next year.



10 comments:

easleyfamily said...

SO cute!!! I love your idea!!! You have such a cute family, btw~

Jenni said...

I cried during "my old kentucky home" today...I knew I would. Can you believe it was four years ago that you were telling me how fast it would go? WOW. Look for a post dedicated to you soon...I think you will like it! Miss you!

Wendi said...

I hear you girlfriend. Kentucky really leaves it's mark on you, doesn't it?

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Happy Derby my far away friend! Missin you!

Travis and Jamie said...

Totally know how you feel. No one here had any idea it was Derby time. I need a Louisville fix.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry we missed it! Those hats turned out SOOO cute! You are so creative! What cute little girls. Poor Layton... You should have bought him a horse for the derby! :) LOL Love ya!

♥jada said...

I watched the Derby and thought of you. Your kids are growing up way too fast. They are so cute!
I had so much fun singing with you the past couple of weeks. We need to do it again soon.

Photo Crazy! said...

What a fun idea. I too have been missing KY right now. We had such good times! Miss you guys!

kara jayne said...

Oh man I miss it. I've got to start some derby traditions!

Jessica Y. said...

I cannot seem to get through Derby without tears!! It is nice to know I am not alone in being lonely for Kentucky and SPRING!! I don't think it is EVER going to come this year!!! We might have to throw a Derby party next year, looks like fun!!

Mrs. Olsen said...

homesick? but you're a born and bred Idaho girl aren't you?